Wednesday 16 January 2008

Strong


I love this picture. Anyway, I really feel called to be strong right now, to be certain and sure and strong. The church needs strong leaders. I was really impressed with the archbishop of York, John Sentamu, the other week cutting his dog collar up live on telly in protest of the situation in Zimbabwe. He has also been outspoken on other issues when others have kept quiet. Strong leadership is inspiring, people are drawn towards strong leaders. I think you have to be careful not to confuse strong leadership with arrogance or egotism. Leadership is about serving, leadership is a calling. I serve a king, I will be strong and lead in service to my king. Being strong is also about not compromising, being strong in where I am going and why I am going there. This does not mean being unsympathetic or not understanding others. It does not mean being judgemental. My strength comes from Jesus. I am weak but He is strong. He was strong as He was beaten, He was strong as He was humiliated, He was strong as He died hanging on that tree and asking for forgiveness for those who were killing Him. I want to be strong and there are so many different ways to show that strength. Its about getting the motives right, making sure that strength is based and focused on Jesus, which is where my strength comes from in the first place, and being strong and certain and sure and stepping forward in faith.

No comments: