Tuesday 12 February 2008

boxes in boxes


This will be a quick post, (children snapping at my heels) big point. A lot of people talk about not putting God in a box, which is so true, God will not fit.
I have just noticed a tendency in some, in words written or spoken, to try to take God out of the box, to try to make God more relevant, or more realistic, more believable, the idea is to get more of the message across to people without worrying about details, that might confuse people or might scare them away.
The desperate want obviously of some people taking 'God out of the box' is to save people, it is to relevantly reach people, get them into a personal relationship with Jesus. I actually think though that what is happening, is God is being put from one box to another.
What is being said, is that God is bigger than church, bigger than sunday morning, bigger than the small minds that we have and use to judge and look down our noses at others with. God is about the dark places, and His light shining in these places, He is about being out there, a reality in real people lives, in real problems, in reality.
God is also the God of the bible, He created the world in seven days, but........... But nothing, He said it, He did it. If you believe in God and have accepted Jesus as your saviour. You know God created the World and Jesus died and rose again. Why do some people have a problem with the seven days bit, for example. Because science tells us otherwise, because it does not seem possible, well He created the world, but not in seven days. Talk about put God in a box. Creator of everything and all things, but 'can't'. What a ridiculous argument, and talk about setting others up for a fall, I believe in God, I believe in His truth, the same way I want to live my life, because Jesus said it and did it. I will believe His word, because I do not want to put God in a box. I don't want to excuse His word, to make it more relevant or believable. I want people to know Jesus, trust Him and His word.
I think sometimes people don't have all the answers, I know so, it does not give us an excuse to explain things away. We do not know it all for a reason. I have faith in God.
I think it was Mark Twain who said ' He who claims to know everything, obviously knows nothing'

1 comment:

Globegirl said...

Big huge amen to that.