Thursday 22 November 2012

Luke Skywalker

I am currently reading a book by Nick Hornby, he wrote 'About a Boy' and 'Fever Pitch' which were films I thoroughly enjoyed, and his books tend to get very good reviews, so I thought I would have a go at one that did not have a film attached. In the wonderful local second hand book shop I found 'How to be Good.' I am enjoying it, although it can be a bit uncomfortable at times, I don't know if that is a good thing or not?

At the beginning of one of the chapters, the protagonist states 'I have to be Luke Skywalker because I don't know who else to be.' I though that was a brilliant line and a brilliant observation on the world as we know it,  a world in which people are looking for answers, heroes, someone to follow, more out of life, something else.  The world offers escapism into fiction. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge escapee, but in the words of the poet, I don't want dreams to become my master, they often do. I have now given up the ghost that I will be scoring the winning goal for Northern Ireland in the world cup final and yet I struggle to give up the fantasy of one day headlining Glastonbury even though I can't sing. Are dreams a form of envy, for another life? or are dreams what drive us on? Or are dreams somewhere to hide when it has not turned out the way we thought it would? What do we do with our dreams? I suppose we become Luke Skywalker?

The end of this specific chapter, ends like this...'When I look at my sins ( and if I think they're sins, then they are sins). I can see the appeal of born-again Christianity. I suspect that it's not the Christianity that is so alluring; it's the rebirth. Because who wouldn't wish to start all over again?'



1 comment:

fastfifa14 said...

Even so, according to Regarding, even a good up-to-date duplicate of Oblivion for the Xbox could yield a new bounty regarding deceived products. As comprehensive with the Internet site, using arrows and a appropriate punch is able to keep a brand new way to obtain duplicated pills accessible. It is uncertain no matter whether this kind of strategy works well with your computer variation.Ds lite "heavy" as opposed to Nintendo ds Lite--can you figure out which is which in turn?Your Ds by nintendo features last but not least launched in America, and some suppliers popped his or her entrance doors at midnight Sunday night--the really original that will shops can by law promote the hand held.