Monday 9 July 2007

education, education, education

Not sure where I am going with this so bare with me. I was reading quotes earlier, I like great quotes and speeches, Martin Luther King is one of my favourites 'Free at last'. Anyway, I diverge, I noticed there was a section on this particular website (wikiquotes), on Jesus, I jumped in and scrolled down to the quotes about Jesus, by others. Some were great, CS Lewis, Gandhi, Einstein. Others I found quite hurtful, and inaccurate.

There is a lot of anger in this world focused on Christianity, and I can understand it, but why so much anger focused on Jesus.

It amazes me that so many educated people, seem to forget their education, when it comes to talking about the bible or christianity or Jesus.

They talk of wars and injustice, murder, of judging, guilt and shame, of hate.

At different times within the history of the church, the church has been guilty of alot of the above, I'm sorry.

At no point is Jesus guilty, at no point did Jesus agree with any of the above. He spoke of peace, love and turning the other cheek, He spoke for social justice and freedom from guilt and shame, He spoke of loving your neighbour as yourself.

The intelligentsia who manage to allow their own feelings of shame, guilt, hate and judgement to blind themselves of truth, are as guilty as a church that has used religion to do all of the above.

And then they point to this world around us and say, look what we have achieved as man, how great we are, like Nero watching Rome burn while playing his fiddle.

No comments: