Friday 2 May 2008

Am I normal

There was a programme on the other night I caught a bit of, called 'Am I Normal' . Interesting stuff, it was exploring people and their spirituality and if people who are very spiritual need to be locked up in mental asylums. That is probably a very negative view point of the programme, which was done in a surprisingly unbiased way. There were 3 bits that I saw which were interesting.

1. Sinita, the singer, talking about her faith and showing her worshipping at Hillsong London, which I found really enjoyable,

2. Then there was a piece on speaking in tongues, which showed a neurotheologist in the United States, do an experiment with a pastor, while he was speaking in tongues, where he monitored the pastors brain activity. He found that when the pastor was speaking in tongues, he was not using the bit of his brain that you are meant to when you speak, and it seemed he was not in control. Fantastic.

3. Benny Hinn?

These pieces were interlaced with people explaining what was wrong with spiritual people, how speaking in tongues, is not linguistically a langauge, and lots of theory to brush away faith!!!!!!

I think that is what bothers me now, it is the world turned upside down, the world trying to understand somebody's weirdness, and how do they do this, by using psychology, a science based on theory. Again and again, I see this world rely on theories, because they make sense, because it allows them to continue living, without questioning, without any action needed.
Depressed, take a pill, but we've just found out they don't work, then what. Tongues, can't explain that, must be hysteria, must be brain washed simpletons who need one of those pills that don't work, must put everyone back in a box, then I can rest easy. Is psychology the science of fear. Fear of the unknown, fear of the unexplained, fear of loss of control, fear of the darkness that rests in peoples lives, that has to be squashed out with pills and a chat.

I always worry about the church's appearance to the world, hence the question mark against Benny Hinns name, ( far to much like a choreographed show for me) it is not for me to worry about, or be embarrassed about, it may provoke good conversation, there may be good done. I need to get on with what I'm doing, how I express Jesus, am I expressing Him, am I enough???

No comments: