Wednesday 17 February 2010

Prison

I had the wonderful oppurtunity yesterday to be able to go and observe a friend doing some work in a prison, it really was an enjoyable experience, something that has touched me and made me think even more about the coming decision I have to make.

I was just so pleased yesterday to find things so comfortable within myself and also so welcomed by those incarcerated, there was a real warmth to everyone, I suspect there is the lack of real personal contact, in a relational way, inside, those who work there can not get close, those around you are in the same position and while there is friendship grown from that, it must be nice to just sit with someone and chat. There is a bit in the film ' The Shawshank Redemption', where some of the prisoners tar a roof and the lead character is able to get them some beer on their last day and they sat and drank their beer and felt like real men. This is the point, the guys I met yesterday are real people and should be treated that way.

By the way, I have made my decision, stay tuned.

No comments: