Wednesday 1 August 2007

The Mission


I've used this picture before, writing about missionary work. Now I want to write about the film. I rewatched it last night. Love it, how many posts could be written. The wonderful examples of forgiveness, the release of the burden, stepping out there for God, showing God's love in a real way, to a real world, without judgement or condemnation, how man corrupts, etc...
I was most struck by the realisation that a lot of new ideas, books, projects and interpretations of God's word that I see today, are not new. I believe some people think, that these things happened in the bible, and we are rediscovering them today for the first time.
There is an arrogance in this generation, presuming we are the first to have to deal with so much. What utter rubbish.
The Holy Spirit has been forever leading, guiding, and there have been people listening and obeying. Men who climbed waterfalls and mountains, crossed seas, went into jungles and deserts, God said do it, so they did, thats a challenge on its own.
When they got to these places, without language, they showed God's love, without judgement or condemnation.
So much has been twisted by time and man, God is still guiding, people are still listening.
There are so many still out there ready to condemn and judge and act on behalf of God without ever listening to God, or even slightly following his will.
There is a great line in the above film where an indian says to a priest, 'I don't believe you speak for God, you speak for the Portugeuse.' I want to be led by God, not man. I pray that I will obey.

No comments: