Sunday 12 August 2007

Music 1


I am now going to start at least, my little musical foray. This is not a history of music, just a chance for me to look and see God in different places, and His spirit moving through history in a different light.
A lot of our popular music today has its origins from music that was born out of slavery, in fact both jazz and blues originated with the call and response shouts of emotion that slaves would express while working in the fields, this mixed with a european harmonic structure, led to the beginnings of these musical genres, while gospel music, is born from the African American churches themselves.
Blues had many famous christian singers, such as Blind Willy Johnson and the Rev. Gary Davies, but as with Gospel, I know their music was intended to be about or for God, I find it more interesting to see God at work, right in the middle of where you don't expect Him, for instance, one of the most famous blues songs ever, is the Crossroad Blues , which many believe is about Robert Johnson ( the writer of the song), selling his soul to the devil. But the song starts, ' I went to the crossroads/fell down on my knees/ asked the Lord above, have mercy/now save poor Bob if you please.'
That is what I am talking about looking at, those lyrics, from the soul, from God, to God, written in a place, where you did not expect it.
2 last points, before I start looking at stuff about rock and roll and soul.
first, Jazz, the word is said to come from an old slang word, jasm, meaning, spirit, energy and vigor.
And second, as I head for rock and roll and try to dwell more on lyrics, than origins, the first time rock and roll was used in a song together, was in 1912, in camp meeting jubilee, the lyrics 'Rocking and rolling in your arms/Rocking and rolling in your arms/in the arms of Moses.

No comments: