Monday 13 August 2007

Music 2 Rock and Roll





Hopefully you'll get where I am going with this a bit more with this post. I think words are important, music is important, and they can touch and inspire me, and help me in my walk.


Chuck Berry is not a man known for his closeness to God, known more nowadays for his putting video cameras in ladies toilets, unfortunately. But he was one of the first real rock and rollers, and he wrote the song Downbound Train, a story of a drunk falling asleep in a bar, and having a dream of being on a train driven by satan on its way to hell, it ends with these lines as the drunk awakes ' He fell on his knees on the bar room floor/ and prayed a prayer like never before/ And the prayers and vows were not in vain/ for he never rode that downbound train.' This is very obvious lyrics, almost in parable form, most of the time it is one liners that can just grab your attention, like in Buddy Holly's Word of Love, ' Words of Love/You whisper soft and true, or Elvis with 'Take my hand/ Take my whole life too.' from I can't help falling in love with you. I know Elvis did not write his songs, I am just looking at the well known lyrics, the music, and putting God in it, or maybe Getting something of God from it, I mean you could use The Wonder of You as a hymn, or take a lot of the lines from Love Me Tender ( 'You have made my life complete, Take me to your heart/For its there that I belong) and really praise God.


I have to mention the Beatles, after all, All we Need is Love and we should be coming together over Him!!!!!! I love Eleanor Rigby, it, to me is like a question, a challenge. 'All the lonely people/ Where do they all come from? All the lonely people/ Where do they all belong.' I actually used this while speaking, challenging the youth to reach out, knowing Jesus knows where they are from and where they belong.


I'm moving on to soul, I'll finish with a line from the Rolling Stones Emotional Rescue 'I'll be your Saviour, steadfast and true.'

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Se você quiser linkar meu blog no seu eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso.(If you speak English can see the version in English of the Camiseta Personalizada.If he will be possible add my blog in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).

bill heasley said...

I was listening to a radio programme ysterday on radio four about Elvis, he did write some of his songs, anyway found your blog interesting ,I think its a good idea ,and shoud be done more, many Chrictian tunes where from secular music