Thursday 22 November 2007

Oh Well



Northern Ireland lost, thats ok, we did so much better than anyone ever anticipated, just as well as England in fact, and we had harder opposition.

Tanya asked me the other night if God likes football, I'm just wondering who He would support, I have come to the conclusion that if He does not support Northern Ireland, He does not support anyone, in all seriousness, He does not support anyone. The reason I write this, is because it opens up the whole issue of God supporting countries in other things they do, I mean generally war, does God support one country against another, do we ever have Gods support to kill, to wound, to hurt. No.

I read today that over 30million people in America last year did not have enough food at some point in that year, I know the president will be using his veto to stop the giving of free medical care to children to who cannot afford it, because it is against the principles of private health care. I wonder what God supports, war or the hungry, dispossessed, sick. You don't really have to wonder, do you.

2 comments:

Globegirl said...

I can't speak for any current war, but I think it is hard to dispute that God certainly supported England in WWII.

As for American politics, I have to say that I have a strong opinoin about the state of things like healthcare. When the church relegates its role as mandated in Isaiah 58 and elsewhere, whoever steps in to meet that need will do a horrible job of it. Until we (the people of God) truly step up and meet the needs of the "widows and orphans" - the fatherless, destitute, sick, broken and devistated - we will see the body of Christ playing at politics instead of effecting governmental change. There's a whole lot more that I could say about that, but I'll step back off my soapbox for now. :-)

john heasley said...

I completely agree Sheena, I am finding myself drawn more and more to pacifism, but then question what I would have done in WW2, and I really believe Gods people have to start reacting more to the needs of the needy, and try to stop God being hijacked for political gain.