Friday 12 December 2008

Portrayal


Two points I want to make, number 1, I do get concerned about how I portray myself and my faith, if I am doing enough, if I always portray things the right way, how can I be more of an advert, I still think a dog collar is a good start, like when I do street pastors, I walk about with a coat, hat and tshirt on, that have street pastors written all over them, and when I say hello or can I help to someone, they give you a double take and in general, respond really positively to me being there, because they can see who I am and who I represent, how do I do this more as I walk about daily, well that is another challenge. I am more concerned with people I know, who I have conversations with, who are not Christians, who I don't think I portray who and what I am enough, or maybe not in the right way, this brings me to my second point.
There are some people you can love and be there for and that is doing exactly what I'm meant to be doing, but they will find the negatives anyway, they carry around their baggage and they will jump on anything negative, as a weapon to show they are right and don't have a need, people have insecurites and baggage and are bitter and they hurt and they have fears. If you don't, they don't like it and they want to enforce their own baggage on you, to prove them right and make them feel more at home with what they carry.
So the only real thing I can do on a personal level, is the same as what I do as a street pastor, love people, be there, show my insecurities and show how I am winning despite of them, because of who I am and what I know.
I don't know if I am just babbling today, I have some great positive experiences this week of people just changed by love and love alone, not by words, but I have seen hearts change and I know I can't do that, I can just be there for people and let God do whatever He has planned. I have also seen the other side, where someone, people have been there for, is turning peoples words around, gossiping and slagging people off, because it works to enforce their position of standoffishness ( if that is a word). I found I was really angry with this person, but I realise that I have to continue to love them and maybe be a bit more careful with my own tongue.
Babble over.

No comments: