Tuesday 16 October 2007

Blog Action Day

Today is blog action day, all bloggers uniting to speak on one subject, which today, is the environment. Not my favourite subject, and personally I can think of other subjects I would like to join together to write about, rather than this, but here we go.

I am not an alarmist, I'm not going to jump on the first enviromental bandwagon that comes along, sprouting on about the end of the world, funny it used to be christians walking down the street with the sandwich boards telling everyone to stop, turn back to God, the end of the world is nigh. How times have changed.

I am not going to take that other view, that I have heard about, that of christians, wanting to abuse the planet as much as possible, to bring about the end of the world. Well that just has love written all over it.

I do want to say, I need to take responsibilities for my actions, you need to take responsibility for your actions. It is another one of those light in the darkness moments, stand at the sidelines moaning, or do our bit. God created this world, we are his, responsibility time.

I love the countryside, I do not want it to be one big waste bin, so I need to recycle more. I hate walking into town and breathing in loads of fumes, its horrible, I think about my baby daughter breathing that in. Smoking is banned in pubs and workplaces, but our kids now have to put up with more smoking at home, smoking on the pavements and nothing done about all the crap from cars that is pumped out.

I work in the oil industry, I do actually worry how I can continue to do so, and have a conscience. But even there, we know deisel cars can run on vegetable oil, we don't need to be abusing the world for oil.

We ( I mean I) need to really start to look at every decision we are making, is it based in goodness, light and love, or is there an implication to our environment or to someone on the other side of the planet, that we would rather not think about.

I am reading the irresistable revolution by Shane Claiborne at the moment, there are plenty of challenges in it, from the environment to community living, good book to read.

I suppose my end thought is......................THINK

No comments: