Wednesday 7 January 2009

A life less ordinary


I have been feeling lately that it is so important to be so different within something which maybe seen by some as mundane or boring. In other words turning the normal way of living into an expression of living the way I am created to be. I have been reading other peoples blogs and there are several people at the moment who seem to be challenged in a very similar way, to start to change the norm, to turn what might be boring into something exciting, to turn ordinary into a celebration, to step out of the box, to start being disciplined in the way I follow. By leading by example.
I hope I am making sense, just in case, I am talking about turning my days at home alone with my daughter into something exciting and worth sharing, turning a night in, in front of the tv, into a night of fellowship and celebration, turning a boring Saturday into a time to share and enjoy with as many people as possible, making prayer so naturally part of everything I do, making the word of God, fasting, singing, being generous, etc... a natural celebratory way that I live, not something I have to remember to do, something that is me.
I believe one of the most important things I have to start doing, is 'doing', not just talking about it, dreaming it, praying it, but then going and doing it. Dreams without action are just dreams, prayer without action, is being like the priest in the good samaritan parable, I am sure he prayed, it did not stop him walking by. I love prayer, it is so important, it is relationship, it needs to be followed by action, or my words are just words, the relationship becomes one way.
I also need to be happy in my discipline, joyful in whatever situation, patient to see what God is doing, patient with those I come into contact with, in the same way God is patient with me. In other words, happy being up early to pray, joyful wherever I am living or working as, because God has a plan. I really need to be patient with some of those around me who try my patience, who are needy and want a lot of my time and effort, God does it for me. I do also need to be assertive enough to say, I need time by myself.
Here we go again, more joy, more discipline more of the rollercoaster that is living with God.

1 comment:

Haitch said...

I have been ...
I have been ...
I hope I am ...
I am talking ...
something that is me ...
I believe ...
I have to start doing ...
I am sure ..
I love ..
I also need to be happy ...
I really need ...
I do also need ...
I need ...

While some of your posts aren't as bad as this, many of them are the same, utterly focused on yourself, while pretending a focus on God. And so restless. Consider the possibility that the fact you've had a thought isn't always reason to share it. And consider the subtext of your posts, because it is so very close to the surface in many of them. And perhaps consider reading about what used to be called 'super-spirituality'. Real growth in Christ is gradual and slow. You're a very young Christian, and acting like a long-established one. Indeed you're a very young man, only a couple of years past the Hebrew age of majority. Perhaps if you had a little more confidence in scripture, for example, you'd be less at the mercy of your latest 'I've been thinking' and less desperate to hear the latest thing that 'God is saying'. There used to be a mainstay of the evangelical doctrine of scripture called 'the sufficiency of scripture' which, in common with many modern Christians, you clearly don't agree with. There is a rest to be found in that, if you would look for it.

I really don't hate you, you know, in spite of your rude and patronising responses to my comments. I wish you would spend some time trying to discover real grace and rest, because your present spirituality and lifestyle is unsustainable. You're hungry for rest, that much is glaringly apparent in your posts, and you have a spirituality that doesn't allow it. But you're right to identify it as the great need of your soul, and it is there ... it is to be had, though it's not without its griefs and sorrows, as I'm sure you already understand.

Take care,

H.