Thursday 31 May 2007

violence

I was tempted the other day to be violent in a situation with a bloke who was being very petty, it seemed to me for a moment alot easier to intimidate and hurt, than to try and understand. I took a deep breath and approached the situation calmly. The problem is I did not get the situation resolved the way I would have liked. I find myself questioning whether I did the right thing.

Actually deep down, I feel I did do right, I just have a remnant of past experiences and worldly ways about me, maybe someone on my shoulder, saying I am cowardly, took the easy way out, could have been harder, what would other people think?

These are all feelings from a life that is no longer me:

Jesus, was tortured, insulted and murdered, He was not a coward, He is a king, He did not take the easy way out, His was the hard way, yet He reigns, the Graham Kendrick song, meekness and majesty, comes to mind. I don't think I will ever have to go through what Jesus did, its just He is my inspiration, my answer.

I have an ongoing challenge with war and pacifism, taking that peace into the bigger world, can you always? I don't know, WW2 for instance, I'll just throw that out there.

1 comment:

Tanya Heasley said...

I know what you mean. I would prefer a world with no war, but sometimes I think it's necessary, like for instance WW2, if no one had stepped in to help the Polish etc. would the world be better/worse now

And more importantly, us Christians are at war every day with the enemy. If we decided that war was not a good thing and didn't bother to try and fight for the greater good, then the enemy would have a better chance at seducing the world.

So isn't sometimes fighting a good thing?