Thursday 3 July 2008

Divisive

I was watching 'the twenties in colour' the other night, interesting viewing, it was based on what happened in the wake of the collapse of the Ottoman empire after WW1. What amzed me was how people got on, before the colonial powers of GB and France got involved and tried helping. There was an old guy there who had lived in Jerusalem all his life, as had his family for time and memorium, he was a jew. He said his mother and grandmother spoke arabic, so they could talk to the neighbours and the neighbours spoke hebrew so they could talk to them. Look at the place now.
There was also Lebanon, where the French decided to enlarge the area of, bringing arabs under the control of a mainly christian area. Once again the repercussions are still being felt today.
I have spoke to my family about life in Belfast before the troubles, and what you hear is of families, protestant and catholic, living next door to each other, being as poor as each other, then what happened.

When I was last in Belfast, one of the rules now in the city centre is that you cannot wear a sports shirt into any of the bars and clubs, it promotes division, my mate was not allowed to wear his Cardiff blues rugby shirt, he wasn't happy.

I don't know what point I am trying to make here, Tanya has had the line from the bible on her mind over the last couple of days about Jesus saying 'They will be divided, father against son and son against father..............'

Division?????????????????????????????? Be careful.

No comments: