Monday 28 July 2008

Church

I have been speaking to a lot of people lately and I have read a lot of blogs and a lot of books on the topic of the future of the church, it has interested me a lot, I am of the belief that the church can be so much more, more intimate, more spiritual, more community based, more for social justice, more of a voice, more of a family, more of a life, more of the way it was meant to be, more of Him it is meant to be about.

As I have said, this is something I have read and heard and spoke about a lot lately, so I wanted to get down how I see things, maybe it is a bit of a vision, I believe it is an important conversation happening in a lot of places, causing arguments and division and hopefully as well giving birth to something beautiful, there will always be birthing pains, there will always be those who do not wish to change, they like the status quo, even though, they were probably pioneers themselves, but are now defending something which is not theirs to defend. The Holy Spirit is speaking to people, that has to be listened to, this is me unapologetically wading in.

I have to agree with most writers and thinkers and listeners of today, that there is a call to be more intimate. I have listened to people talking about getting smaller, deeper, with fewer people, and then these little groups growing into more little groups, little cells of committed members and giving birth to more small groups. I don't really agree.
It sounds good, but I have too many questions, there can be an elitism to a small group and of course you only want the people who you get on with, are you ready to be that close? Is any growth going to be possible? Is it people of a specific vision can only join a specific house church? ( Which is what they would be) Won't certain areas of ministry and mission be ignored because of lack of resources and members.
I just think the small groups of churches have to change, they have to become more intimate, more of a family linked in with a bigger family, a main church or building. People should be able to come together en masse.


ACTS 2
42They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. 43Everyone was filled with awe, and many wonders and miraculous signs were done by the apostles. 44All the believers were together and had everything in common. 45Selling their possessions and goods, they gave to anyone as he had need. 46Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, 47praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.

Christians met together in the temple courts as well as in each others homes. I believe that is how it should be, how church as we know it is done, I will come to shortly but, I believe it is important to stay close to a bigger body as well as seek the intimacy of small groups.
I really believe though, that to reach the intimacy that should be family, people need to jump in, meet as families, kids and all, forget babysitters, start to share meals more regularaly, book holidays, share, cry, be honest. Look to missions as a small group, look to having things in common and responding completely to all need. I personally want to look to living communally and responding to all sorts of things around from the strength of a family.

As, shall we say, Sunday church goes, I would like to batter things down a bit. I would just like to break things down, the structure of time bugs me on a Sunday and I would like to see the Holy Spirit at work without a time limit. I would like to see an area of worship, music and words given that just continues on Sunday as the Spirit leads, with parishoners and musicians come and go as they feel it is right to do so. I would like to see an area of fellowship, where people can talk and catch up and break bread together, while the worship thing is happening at the same time, but people being free to move between these areas. Then I would like to see an area of teaching, where someone brings the teaching, as many of us hear every Sunday, but on a more personal level, sat down, allowing people to ask questions and discuss. I would also like to see an area of prayer and prophesy, where people could pray, be prayed for, be healed, be prophesied over. You could probably have an area for children and young people as well, if it was needed. I think this should all go on at the same time, with open doors for people to come and go, to different areas and home if they wish. There should not be a finish time, it should be led by the Spirit. Yes it does sound complicated, but they are all areas in a church which there are people already doing these things, already trying to fit them into a time slot and these are all things mentioned in the above scripture.

I also believe a church building is a good thing, not necessarily a necessity, but if used right, it can be great. The young people at the youth cafe I do, love the sports hall. I think, how can you bring senior citizens together for a meal, I think of a lighthouse that people need to know is open, and that is where the Christians live. Maybe the church buildng needs to be lived in??????

People need to open up, I need to open up, the other things that I am putting in the way of intense church, are of me, in other words, the problems I have with being family close to others, the problem I have with church maybe being chaotic and all day, the problem I have with giving up any more nights of my week, are not of God.

This will be my only post this week, it is nice outside.

No comments: