Friday 27 June 2008

Karma


My Name is Earl is a very funny comedy, it features this wonderful fantasy of karma, I say wonderful fantasy, because karma is so easy to refute. There is so much evil and injustice in the world, which will not be repaid in life, there is so much greed and selfishness that is rewarded. Solomon got that, I wrote about it before, when he wrote in ecclesiastes about things all being meaningless, judgement belongs to God.
I sometimes get caught up in thinking the 'karma' way though, I am doing enough for Jesus? when I screw up, am I going to be held back? Karma is not God's way. Accepting His love is His way. That does not mean I have no responsibility or challenges, it just means I am not going to be punished or made to feel guilty because of what I do. Jesus sees my heart, and loves and leads me on.
I am just reminded of this, this week, no.1, because Tanya said it to me, no.2, because I crashed the car, no. 3, our youngest son had his bike stolen, recovered, but completely trashed, and because I am really sitting in a place of faith at the moment, with not brass ha'pennies to rub together, I could have easily started to think, what am I doing wrong. Instead, my attitude has to be, what can I do here, where can the good shine through. For instance, I am now on quite good chatting terms with the guy whose car I smashed and I can show my son, not to worry, no need to get angry, we will do what we can do.
It is not a case of what goes around, comes around, it is a case of where can show God in this situation, because that is what He challenges us to do.

No comments: