Tuesday 3 June 2008

Free

As I was saying yesterday, I was involved in this Hope 08 busineswith our church. It was good, I am glad there are some good organisers out there, it is an area I struggle with.
One guy organised the young people from local churches to do a free carwash last Wednesday, I went along and tried to help, all fun, the one thing that struck me was explaining to people it was free, one lady was nearly in tears, another gentleman put some money in the prayer request box. I went round to the local businesses, spoke to people, telling them what was happening, 'come and get your car washed for free, no catch,' I might as well have been saying ' It only costs £500,' One company did except what was going on, but still was trying to give us a donation. The next day, a friend and I were helping an old lady in her garden, some stuff will have to be gotten back to, when we explained that someone would pop round and finish it off when she was ready, for free, it seemed to confuse her, we had to explain it a few times. On Saturday we had a big party in the park, for the town, it was free and I do not know how many times I had to explain that.

Why don't people get it. Has this world become so suspicious, so out of touch with what kindness and love are, do they think love has a price, why are people so confused, cynical and surprised at acts of love. Does the love that is in their lives, come at a price, can people not be kind without being labeled as weirdos.

I remember years ago, Tanya and I would drive over the QE2 bridge from Thurrock to Kent, when we stopped at the tolls, we would pay for the person in the car behind us aswell. We thought it was funny, the look of sheer confusion on the persons face as they were let through, with the attendent explaining that we had paid for them, and then their rush to overtake us, to look into the car, searching for an answer, wondering if they know us.

I suppose we do look for payment, maybe we just don't demand it, we hope that what we do rubs off, that what is seen in us, makes people ask a question, or changes lives.

I was paid for, I asked so many questions and my life has changed, I was given something freely, with love and I have accepted it. As I am writing that, I know it sounds cheesy and churchy and preachy, but it is true, Jesus paid the price, it is fundamental to who I am now, free.

1 comment:

david c welker said...

Cool blog, found it searching "Delirious". God bless!