Saturday 26 April 2008

Flippin Eck

I have been saying flippin eck a lot lately, all the time in fact. I have a friend who I am sure must hold some kind of world record for saying 'flippin eck' . It has rubbed off on me, and after saying it last night far too many times at the youth cafe, I said I would write a post on it, here it is.

I thought I would write something on the etymology of the saying, and try to sound all clever showing that the saying derives from some saxon word for goats wee or something, but unfortunately, it is a lot plainer than that. It is just a term, to replace a more vulgar term, also beginning with the same letters, I am not going there.

I have had a few conversations lately with people about watching what we are saying, you see I think we do this too much, always worried about upsetting someone. I think people need to get over themselves, concentrate on content, not etymology.

When it comes down to it though, I don't want to swear, so I say flippin eck. Hope you weren't offended.

No comments: