Friday 25 April 2008

Self Harm



I was just reading that one third of teenage girls have self harmed and about one fifth of boys. What is going on. I have wanted to write a post on this for a while, but I did not know what to write. I still don't.

I have spoken to young people who self harm, I know people that self harmed when they were younger, I know some older people who probably self harm, is this one of these taboos, something we cannot talk about, something that is hidden in darkness, so that it becomes a secret struggle, a silent call for help, a personal pain.

I can only try to understand the whys, but I am not going to be patronising and talk about why I think, or what to do if you are self harming. I don't think that is my place. What worries me, is the lack of conversation.

Working with youth, I am constantly on the lookout for ways to reach out, ways to say to young people, you are not alone, others are going through it, others have been where you have been. I once read and I may have mentioned it before, that one of the strongest and most encouraging things to say to someone, is 'Me too'.

We all struggle with different issues, to hear that someone else has gone through or is dealing with those issues, is such a blessing. By admitting we are struggling, we encourage, we also admit, that we are weak but He is strong.

If anyone knows of any resources that can be of use, please let me know.

I know Hopextreme, from Book Of Hope, is a magazine asking some real questions and involving testimonies to talk to young people, very useful and gets the point across.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I Have Done It, I Guess It Makes Me Feel Better About My Self I Have Marks On My Arms N Legs That Havent Gone.
I Only Do It When I Feel Really Dwn N I Have No1 To Talk To About How I Feel, And If I See Something Sharp I Will Just Pick It Up An Cut Myself. No1 Understand How I Feel An Why I Do It My Dad Askes Me Whats Wrong An Why I Am Doing An He Sed Its Just Showing Your Calling Out For Help.
I Havent Done It For A Long Time Nw And I Hope I Wont Anytime Soon x

Amz said...

its not always that simple John. When people tell me that they have been through what I have been through and tell me their story then I feel guilty for feeling how I feel. I then end up harming even more becuase I feel like I need to punish myself for having feelings that I dont deserve. Ami x

john heasley said...

I get what you are saying Ami, I think what I am mainly trying to say here is that I don't really understand, but I don't want people to suffer in silence, I also do understand the flip side of an issue being personal, then it is yours, you own it, it can be just about you and no one can take it away, but I do think that still comes down to the cycle of guilt and shame and self worth which can be broken by transparency, I do understand I am on shaky ground but I suppose I am trying to get an idea of what is going on, trying to understand, so everything said here is a bit naive on my part.